Friday, December 23, 2011

Christmas Epiphany

I dug this blog out from my old myspace blogging days...I believe it is an oldie but a goodie...What do you think?


My latest bathroom epiphany  is about Santa Claus.
****Spoiler Alert*******Innocents Read No Further!!!**********
I have come to the conclusion that Santa Claus came into existence to teach us how to give selflessly.
Seriously, giving is always great.  You give a gift to someone, you see their eyes light up "Oh!  It's just want I always wanted!"  What a great feeling you get.  Admit it.  You give to get that good feeling of making someone happy.  I do.  Its very selfish and I am well aware of it.  But so what?  Its a win win situation.
Then there is Santa Claus.  Parents, year round, put up with, "But mommy I want it!"  "Why not, daddy?"  "You're a mean mom and I hate you!"  But Santa?  Oh, he's the best!  I love Santa!  Yeah, me too! 
Whatever Santa brings is perfect.  Just what I always wanted.   Although, I do recall a few Christmases Santa brought me bras and underwear and I thought, "You sadistic little..."  He KNEW my parents would be video taping this moment to watch and rewatch as I unwrap my little A cup bras and floral panties.  Someday, my husband will be forced to watch those embarrassing moments.
I think back now, how my parents never once blurted out, "Hey!  I gave you that Barbie Dream House equipped with real bubbling hot tub!  I am the best!  Your Santa Claus is a fraud!  A sham!  LOVE MEEEEEEE!!!"
They pretended that all they could afford was one little box with a new shirt or skirt inside.  Meanwhile Santa must have gotten a celebrity discount at Toys R Us or went shopping on triple coupon day, showering us ungrateful children with piles of perfectly wrapped gifts. 
I love the idea of Santa Claus.  The magic of waking up and finding a pile of gifts where there was only a chair the night before.  Where there was only a wrinkly old stocking, now stretched to its limit hanging from the mantle awaited my own personal sock full of joy...lipgloss, jewelry, candy...everything! 
But what I love more is the idea of my selfless parents, who never took credit where credit is due.  For all those years of filling my Christmas Eves with magical anticipation and my Christmas morns with piles of gifts I hardly believe I deserved, I heartily thank you.  You deserve all the credit of Santa and none of the screaming children tinkling in your lap at the mall!


No comments:

Post a Comment